Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Is It Only That You Need To Change Your Perspective?

Is It Only That You Need To Change Your Perspective?

Sometimes we go through monumental things in our lives and we count them as total losses because we don't look at the broader view.

I am blessed to be able to look at the brighter side of things and being able to get something out of SOME uncomfortable situations. That is a blessing and a curse often because my first response would be to be pityful, but that's just my punk behind...lol

I was chatting with a friend of mines about our US Military experiences (some of y'all know I went straight from High School to Navy Boot Camp) My retrospect was one of a positive nature. His is one of total loss.

My view is positive, not because it was a 'good' experience but because I learned from it and I gained some things from it. I endured a huge amount of prejudicy against me being a woman AND being black. A double whammy on a Navy Ship. I was almost court martialled for insubordination because the dude did not like the fact that I knew he was prejudiced. I got stories on that but that's not the point.

What I am saying is that in spite of the negative things, my view is positive because I gained from it. I gained discipline, I got a GI Bill and went to Culinary school, and I have the military on my resume which has gotten my foot in almost every corporate door I've applied to. That's my perspective.
Even though the experience wasn't comfortable or pleasant my choice was to change my perspective so that I may glean and gain from it instead of accepting it as a loss. Sometimes we just need to change our perspective because we cannot change the past.

3 comments:

bshepjr said...

i tend to look at the bad more than good also but after i while i start to see what good came out of a bad situation. and by a while i mean YEARS lol

you was in the navy huh? i was in the air force.

Ms. Cat said...

We HAVE to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative. I have a knack for looking at the brighter side. Prayer is helpful...LOL

Air Force huh? I wish I went to college but I don't regret going in the Navy. Is that a conflicting statement?

Eb the Celeb said...

That was life is all about... it shows growth and maturity so kudos to you